IC: Some Katrina Aftermath
(Point form news to keep everyone updated)
- The death toll in Mississippi rises to more than 100.
- Two levees break in New Orleans and water pours in, covering 80 per cent of the city and rising in some areas to six metres deep. Many people climb onto roofs to escape. Louisiana Governor says everyone still in New Orleans - an estimated 50,000 to 100,000 people - must be gotten out.
- Crowds swell at the Superdome and the convention centre in New Orleans.
- Rescuers in helicopters and boats pick up hundreds of stranded people in New Orleans, and reports of looting begin to emerge.
- About 40,000 people are in American Red Cross shelters, not including in New Orleans.